- 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise, the seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon The Delicious Dietitian Italian Spice Blend
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup thinly sliced cherry tomatoes
Friday, May 17, 2013
Spaghetti Squash with Tomato and Parmesan
If you've never tried spaghetti squash, you are missing out on a great weeknight staple! It's called spaghetti squash because when the cooked insides are pulled from the squash they look like spaghetti noodles! This is a great way to get kids to try a new veggie!
In a glass baking dish arrange the squash half, cut side down, pour 1/4 cup water around it, and cover the dish tightly with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave the squash for 12 minutes, or until it is soft when pressed, and let it stand, covered, for 3 minutes. In a large bowl whisk together the oil, 1/4 cup of the basil, the Italian Spice Blend, and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, stir in the tomatoes. While the squash is still warm scrape it with a fork to form strands, add the strands to the tomato mixture, and toss the mixture until it is combined. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan over it, and garnish it with the additional basil.