Wednesday, January 30, 2013
This yummy pasta dish is a twist on two tried and true family favorites: mac and cheese AND broccoli with cheese sauce...for a fraction of the calories! The roasted garlic adds a creamy texture and fabulous flavor. Roasted garlic is less pungent than raw garlic, if you've never tried it, give it a shot.
Hands on time for this meal is only about 15-20 minutes, just be sure to plan ahead to roast the garlic.
8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta, cooked
1½ tbsp. olive oil
2 heads roasted garlic*
1½ tbsp. flour
1 cup no sodium added chicken broth
3/4 cup shredded 2% white cheddar cheese
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets and steamed until crisp-tender
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, grilled and cut into bite size pieces
1 Tbsp The Delicious Dietitian Italian Spice Blend
Add olive oil to a large saucepan set over medium heat. Whisk in the roasted garlic paste and cook 30-60 seconds. Whisk the flour into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture begins to turn golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Stir the broth into the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and stir until melted. Add Italian Spice Blend, and stir until mixed into sauce.
Mix in the broccoli florets and chicken pieces, and cook just until heated through. Mix in the cooked pasta until evenly coated with the sauce. Serve warm.
*To make roasted garlic paste, peel the outer papery skins off two heads of garlic, leaving the heads intact. Slice about a quarter off the top of each head so that all of the cloves are partly exposed. Wrap the garlic in foil and bake at 350˚ F for one hour. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool enough to touch, squeeze the garlic cloves out of the peels and smash with a fork to make roasted garlic paste.
at 7:00 AM
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Crock Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken Fajitas
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
4 Tbsp lime juice (2 limes)
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups frozen corn
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 Tbsp The Delicious Dietitian Southwest Blend
Place all ingredients in a 6-8 quart slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
Place all ingredients in a resealable gallon-sized freezer bag. Mix together and zip bag closed. Freeze for up to 6 months.
When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge for 24 hours. Cook on LOW for 8 hours (or HIGH for 4 hours).
Serve as fajitas with tortillas and toppings (light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, guacamole, salsa, and cheese, or serve as a salad over a bed of mixed greens with toppings.
at 12:24 PM
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
A smoothie can make a great breakfast on the run, but you have to be aware of additives and extra sugar that can add hundreds of calories to an innocent smoothie. Unlike some smoothies that pack in 600 calories or more, this delicious smoothie offers 2 full servings of heart healthy berries, plus a serving of dairy and protein to help keep you full and energized, all for less than 200 calories. The Thai spice adds an element of the exotic to your morning smoothie.
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
at 9:34 AM
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
- Roasted Vegetable and Chicken Soup
- The ultimate in comfort foods: chicken soup. Everyone has a favorite recipe (their mom's!) but there are a million variations on this culinary classic. This hearty version has winter vegetables and whole wheat pasta to make it a filling meal, perfect for dinner on a chilly evening.
- 1 cup (1-inch) cubed carrot
- 1 cup (1-inch) cubed onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup (1-inch) pieces celery
- 1 cup (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons The Delicious Dietitian Italian Spice Blend
- 4 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, no-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; drizzle with oil, and toss well to coat. Arrange vegetable mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Combine water and next 5 ingredients (through chicken) in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add roasted vegetables; simmer 30 minutes. Bring soup to a boil. Add pasta; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
at 12:38 PM